HCI, also known as human-computer interaction, is experiencing rapid growth due to the increasing integration of technology in our lives. As per the MRFR report, the HCI market is projected to grow significantly from 2023-2030 with a CAGR of 15.4%, reaching USD 1,663.88 billion by 2030.
The rising demand for intuitive and user-friendly interfaces drives the need for skilled and knowledgeable HCI professionals who can make a difference. In this blog, we’ll explore what HCI is, various career opportunities in this field, and why pursuing a master’s in human-computer interaction can make you a sought-after expert in this field.
Understanding Human-Computer Interaction (HCI)
HCI explores the relationship between humans and computers and how they collaborate. HCI, also known as User Experience or Interaction design, aims to make technology more friendly and easy to use for humans, combining principles from various fields like computer science, design, and psychology.
Here are a few simple examples of how HCI is implemented in technology:
- Website Navigation: Website design with a well-designed layout including accessible menus, search bars, links, and search bars.
- Smartphone Apps: The design and layout of the app, including interface, and buttons, along with how the user interacts with the apps like tapping, scrolling, etc.
- Voice Assistants: Smart speakers and virtual assistants utilize speech recognition technology to understand user speech and respond to voice commands.
- Video Game Controllers: Video game controllers are designed with buttons, triggers, and joysticks to provide users with an intuitive and seamless gaming experience.
HCI is a broad field encompassing interaction design and user experience that focuses on designing user experiences for digital products and systems. Pursuing a Master’s degree in Interaction Design or User Experience can also significantly enhance the career prospects.
Requirements for admission to MS in HCI program
For enrolling in Masters in HCI, candidates must hold an honours or equivalent professional degree in a related field. These can include a degree in Social Sciences, Computer Science, Arts, Cognitive Science, Engineering, Design, Information technology, Architecture, etc. Submission of GRE scores is optional, while some universities consider it, others do not.
Diverse Career Opportunities in HCI
HCI is highly valued by businesses as it boosts user satisfaction and engagement, leading to increased customer loyalty, conversion rates, and revenue. Graduates skilled in HCI are in high demand across industries like technology, healthcare, finance, manufacturing, retail, and education.
Here are some of the rewarding career paths in HCI offered by tech companies, consulting firms, research institutions, and startups.
- User experience (UX) Designer
- User Researcher
- Information Architect
- Accessibility Specialist
- Usability Tester
- Product Manager
Average salary post masters in HCI program
After successfully completing a Master’s in HCI from a reputed university, students can enter a range of careers at leading companies such as IBM, Google, Microsoft, and Amazon as well as government departments. The average salary for a Senior UX Designer is estimated at ₹390k – ₹2m, a User Experience Researcher at ₹529k – ₹3m and UX Designer at ₹419k – ₹2m.
What is the difference between HCI and UX masters?
HCI is a predecessor of UX masters in that HCI focuses solely on the user interactions with the product while UX encompasses the entire journey of those interactions. Key operations such as manufacturing the user’s products, services and applications are part of the User experience. On the other end, Human-computer interaction is centred more around academic research to study the manner in which humans interact with computers and an attempt at optimising the interaction.
Despite these differences, there are also certain similarities between the two. Both fields involve user research, information architecture and iterative testing.
Benefits of Pursuing an MS in HCI
1. In-depth Knowledge
A Master’s degree in HCI prepares you with essential skills to thrive in HCI-related positions. The program offers a deep understanding of theoretical concepts, methodologies, and best practices in user-centered, interaction, and visual designs. It also helps students gain expertise in user research, UI development, usability testing, etc., which makes them well-rounded professionals in this field.
2. Impactful Problem-Solving
In the MS in HCI, the student learns to design products and services centered around the user’s needs and wants. In the process, they need to utilize specific tools and skills to conduct user research, identify their pain points, and develop solutions that are truly helpful and enhance user experience. They’ll also learn to test, improve, and refine their designs using methods like usability testing, prototyping, etc.
3. Cutting-Edge Research and Innovation
HCI Master’s programs are conducted by top-notch faculty who are experts in the field, which exposes students to cutting-edge research, and the latest trends. Students also get access to research labs and facilities and conduct their own studies with advanced technology and publish their research, sharing valuable insights with a wider audience and making an impact.
4. Attractive Pay
HCI professionals with a Master’s degree can earn higher salaries due to high demand for specialized skills in UX design, interface prototyping, data analysis, and accessibility. On average, the median salary for HCI professionals in the US is $110,000 per year. Within the field of HCI, individuals working in augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) divisions of large tech firms, such as Unity, Google, Apple, Amazon tend to command higher salaries. Also, startups working on newer gesture based interfaces provide lucrative offers to the HCI professionals.
5. Communication & Collaboration
Effective communication is a key requirement for an HCI professional. They need to interact with users, designers, and stakeholders to collect and analyze user feedback and present their designs effectively. HCI master’s program prepares the students to effectively work with peers, faculty, and professionals on design projects, which enhances teamwork abilities and teaches them how to work on shared objectives.
6. Networking Opportunities
HCI is a broad field with lots to explore. HCI programs provide networking opportunities with students, faculty, and professionals. Attending conferences and workshops allows students to meet experts, discover new research, and connect with potential employers. Internship programs in HCI give them practical experience, network, and job opportunities after graduation.
Best Colleges To Pursue Masters in HCI
Below is the list of the top-tier colleges offering exceptional Master’s programs in HCI:
- Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – The MHCI program is a three-semester program completed over the full calendar year, from August to August. Starting in 1997, more than 1200 MHCI graduates from the university have taken prominent positions across the world.
- University of California – Irvine, California – The Masters of Human-Computer Interaction and Design (MHCID) is a year-long program providing benefits of learning on-campus and via online education.
- University of Washington, Seattle – The Masters of Human-Computer Interaction and Design (MHCID) is an 11-month program extended to 33 eager learners. The program is offered by 4 departments, including the Division of Design in the School of Art + Art History + Design, Human Centered Design & Engineering, Information School and Computer Science & Engineering.
- Indiana University, Bloomington: It is a two-year program enabling students to become masters in the field of interaction design, user research methods, and design strategy to shape the future of human-centered design.
- The DePaul University, Chicago, Illinois: Master of Science in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) is a one-year course available in in-class, in-class and online and online only modes to build expertise in interface design.
If you want to know more about HCI and which are the best colleges to pursue master’s in human-computer interaction, our experts at LilacBuds are happy to assist with our premium consultation services. We understand your academic background, interests, and career goals to recommend suitable HCI programs and assist with applying to top global design master’s programs.
Explore Other Master’s Programs